Idealizing Motherhood and Self-Neglect: Illuminate Podcast
I was recently interviewed therapist and host Geoff Steurer on the topic of why idealizing motherhood can be harmful to women’s mental and emotional health. Specifically, we discuss:
– Why our culture idealizes mothers.
– How how idealizing motherhood can be harmful to women’s mental health.
– The difference between “role and relationship”.
– Why betrayed women feel shame that they’re not available for their children and how idealizing motherhood adds unnecessary pressure.
– How betrayed women deal with the shame of not being best their self while healing from trauma.
– How women can challenge the glorification of self- neglect, especially when resources are low.
Dynamic self & relationship expert Dr. Julie de Azevedo Hanks, LCSW loves to make a difference for women. She owns Wasatch Family Therapy and regularly contributes to TV Shows and her advice has been featured nationally including Wall Street Journal, Parenting, Fox News, and others. Connect on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter. Her books The Burnout Cure and The Assertiveness Guide are now available. Dr. Hanks is currently accepting coaching clients.